Advertisement

Ceglar hangs up the boots

August 22, 2023 3:02 pm in by
Geelong ruck Jon Ceglar has announced his retirement.

Geelong ruckman Jonathon Ceglar has announced his immediate retirement from the AFL after 110 games at both the Cats and Hawthorn.

The 32-year-old was recruited to Geelong during the 2021 off-season after eight seasons with the Hawks, playing three matches in the Cats’ premiership winning campaign last year.

He managed six games this season, with injury and form issues seeing him in-and-out of the side during his time at Kardinia Park.

Article continues after this ad
Advertisement

Ceglar was pre-listed by the Gold Coast Suns in 2010 before being immediately traded alongside Andrew Krakouer to Collingwood for pick 25 in the 2010 draft.

“I have loved every minute of my career and feel fortunate to have represented three great clubs,” Ceglar said.

“I’m grateful to have played the game for as long as I have and while I would have loved to have played on, my body hasn’t allowed me to continue,” he said.

“Playing footy for 13 years has been a significant part of my life, I can’t thank Hawthorn Football Club enough and the people I met there, and then to be able to come to Geelong later in my footy career has been one of the best decisions I’ve made.

“There are a lot of people to thank who have supported me over the journey, most importantly I’d like to thank my wife Charlotte for her unconditional support, my parents and family for the role they have played over my career at times putting their own lives on hold while they encouraged me and my career.

Article continues after this ad
Advertisement

“I feel most grateful for the lifetime memories and relationships I’ve made.

“I’m looking forward to the next chapter and excited for what the future holds.”

Advertisement

Keep up to date

Sign up for our newsletter